Sunday, February 16, 2014

On Obama and 3G


On Obama and 3G

March 20, 2013 at 1:28am
At this very moment , I am thinking of the brilliant graphic design team of the phone company that filled streets of Ramallah last week with ads asking Mr. Obama not to bring his smart phone to Ramallah because in Palestine there is no 3G ,and who don't seem brilliant anymore . And the boss of that company is probably thinking of the disastrous effect of the ads in the street .
When I read it , I was thinking , "nice", it made me smile, and I was thinking if mr. Obama will be driving around those streets to see those ads .on my way back to Ramallah , I was thinking :"well its exaggerated".. Suddenly the only ad the eye would see were those ads , now with cross covering Obamas face.
I was having different thoughts about the ads, it was definitely not deep, but I thought it was smart . If Obama ever see it , or told about it , he would definitely smile . And yes, if the wall was failed to be seen by berlusconi upon his visit to bethlehem , and if Obama the student of Edward Said and the friend of Rashid khalidi , the major palestinian intellectuals of our time,couldn't get what it means to be Palestinian, about the historical injustice that failed upon this nation after being memtored by such scholars ,then nothing can effect him . He is here with a mission that suits him and israel. As he stated it clearly
“As I've said repeatedly, the bond between our two countries is unbreakable. My personal commitment .....our commitment to the security of Israel is rock solid. And as I've said to the Prime Minister in every single one of our meetings, the United States will always have Israel's back when it comes to Israel's security. This is a bond that is based not only on our mutual security interests and economic interests, but is also based on common values and the incredible people-to-people contacts that we have between our two countries.”
Actually the smart phone ads could be something that catches his attention , like that old woman he met when he visited Warsaw Ghetto :
“Never again’ is a challenge to defend the fundamental right of free people and free nations to exist in peace and security -- and that includes the State of Israel. And on my visit to the old Warsaw Ghetto, a woman looked me in the eye, and she wanted to make sure America stood with Israel. She said, "It’s the only Jewish state we have." And I made her a promise in that solemn place. I said I will always be there for Israel. So when efforts are made to equate Zionism to racism, we reject them. When international fora single out Israel with unfair resolutions, we vote against them. When attempts are made to delegitimize the state of Israel, we oppose them. When faced with a regime that threatens global security and denies the Holocaust and threatens to destroy Israel, the United States will do everything in our power to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon.” .”
Well, I assume it is unlikely that a Palestinian woman in a refugee camp will cross mr. Obama's visit . He will definitely not see refugee camps. It is also unlikely that an old woman would stumble on his feet while he lays flowers on Arafat's memorial or in the Muqataa...to touch him in way that makes him promise peace and justice for Palestine.
It is also unlikely that mr. Obama will meet a Palestinian with a decent voice, after all again , he really doesn't need any, after Said and Khalidi who can add anything more....
The smart phone ads remain a smart idea, that can capture an interested fellow who believes I nthe advancement of technology and whatever , and who would want ot make sure Ramallah remains in its cool bubble of at least accessing services inside that bubble.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment